How to Make Your Own Bouquet
1. Gather your materials: You'll need fresh flowers, a pair of sharp floral scissors or shears, a clean vase or container, floral tape, floral wire (optional), ribbon or twine, and any additional decorative elements you desire.
2. Choose your flowers: Select a variety of flowers that appeal to you in terms of color, texture, and shape. Consider the overall aesthetic you want to achieve. It's helpful to have a mix of focal flowers (larger blooms), filler flowers (smaller blooms to add volume), and greenery for added texture. (refer to the "Best Flower Combinations" blog for ideas on which flowers compliment each other).
3. Prepare the flowers: Fill a clean container with water and trim the stems of your flowers at an angle using sharp scissors or shears. Remove any excess leaves or thorns that may fall below the water line to keep the water clean.
4. Start with the focal flowers: Begin by choosing one or two focal flowers as the centerpiece of your bouquet. Trim their stems to your desired length, keeping in mind the height and proportion you want to achieve.
5. Build the bouquet: Gradually add other flowers and greenery, alternating their placement to create a balanced and visually appealing arrangement. As you add each stem, give it a slight turn to create a spiral effect and ensure even distribution of flowers.
6. Secure the bouquet: Once you're satisfied with the arrangement, use floral tape to bind the stems together, starting just below the flower heads and working your way down. This will hold the bouquet in place.
7. Optional: To provide extra stability, you can reinforce the bouquet by wrapping floral wire around the stems, starting from the base and wrapping it up to the bound section.
8. Add finishing touches: Wrap a ribbon or twine around the stems to cover the tape or wire. You can also attach decorative elements like beads, charms, or feathers to enhance the bouquet's visual appeal.
9. Trim the stems: Trim the ends of the stems evenly, ensuring they are all the same length. This will give your bouquet a neat and professional look.